Sunday, October 21, 2012

One of these does not belong with the other…


I was on a date last week, and before I recap it, I have a great takeaway to share with all of you.  Do not go on a date on YOUR BIRTHDAY!  Do not go on a date the day after YOUR BIRTHDAY!  Do not go on a date the day before YOUR BIRTHDAY.  I found myself on a date a few  years ago on what the guy claimed was his 30th BIRTHDAY!  It was a Tuesday night or something and I felt bad that he was on a first date on HIS BIRTHDAY.  So after our one drink and appetizer, the plan morphed into a romantic walk around a sculpture garden and then out to a bar for his favorite drink.  While there he insisted we play erotic picture match ‘em.  What was I going to say?  It was HIS BIRTHDAY.   I finally put my foot down when he asked for a birthday kiss.  On my way home I realized I should have asked to see his ID. 

If you ever find yourself in the same situation, just claim it’s your birthday too. 

I only bring that up because my date last week mentioned that his birthday was the night before.  There was some reluctance to go on the date in the first place.  Mainly because he worked out of state and was only in town on the weekends.  Therefore the date had to be on a Friday night.  Here is another takeaway for you.  Do not go on a first date on a weekend evening.  When people ask me if I am free on a Friday or Saturday night for a first date, the answer is always no.  But this time, I had to say yes if I wanted to see what dating a chef was like. 

I will save you the trouble of experiencing it for yourself.  I got no cooking tips, recipes, or restaurant secrets.   I do not think he was that impressed with my job either.  When I told him what I did he rolled his eyes and said, “You’re like the seventh girl who I’ve met that does that.  Is there like, a lot of money in that?”  Um.  Was he piling on a wage discrepancy on top of a recent birthday to get me to pick up the tab on our Friday night date?  Whatever.  It worked.  I paid and left. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment