Friday, October 12, 2012

Good Things


There are a lot of good things about a first date.  Some people get anxious about that first date and think its awkward.  It can be, but I prefer to think of it an adventure.  That is what this blog is about.  There are no bad dates, only cool stories.  

I think the best thing about the first date is getting to say, “I have a date tonight.”  As in, “sorry I can’t work late on this project, I have a date tonight.”  Or, “Oh, your kid’s math homework sounds like a fun way to spend the night. I have a date tonight.” 

Because all of my dates lately are blind dates, it requires a little preparation.  I have to pick out an outfit that is both work appropriate and date worthy.  I hope my coworkers appreciate the extra effort I’ve put into styling myself lately.  That means no waking up late and putting wet hair in a messy bun (that’s not really a good idea right now anyway because winter is coming.  I don’t want to catch a cold).  

I also review all information I have on the person.  I do a quick review of their profile so I can remember who they are, I reread the emails we’ve exchanged, and try to think of some backup conversation starters.   You do not want to walk into a bar and call your date the wrong name.  Or even call them the wrong name in an email.  We all know there is a lot of action going on through the site, but it does not hurt to take a second and confirm that you really are emailing  Megan and not Sarah.  If I had paid attention to that the last time around, I could have avoided some trouble!  First impressions are lasting impressions. 

Another good thing about going on a first date is that it’s a fresh start.  If it goes well you can laugh about the weird things you were thinking or embarrassing things you did.  Show pictures of your cat on the first date? Check.  Only because she is really cute. 

 

 

 

But really, every date is scary until you know the person well enough to be seen without your makeup on.  Just know that both parties have to experience it and you will live through it.  Hopefully you will find yourself on your last first date.  You just won’t know it yet J

No comments:

Post a Comment