Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Boyfriend/Girlfriend Training


One of the hardest things about breaking up is seeing all of your preferential training walk away to eventually benefit someone else.  That is a sunk cost into a relationship that you will never get back and it’s the basis of the phrase “I wasted so much time on him (or her)!”

 The skill that I find myself teaching over and over again is that of apologizing.  

 Here is the structure of a good apology.

 1.       Actually say “I am sorry.”

2.       Followed by what you are sorry for “I am sorry for being late.”

3.       Do not follow up the “what” with a “but.” “I’m sorry for being late, but there was an accident.”  Putting the word “but” after anything negates any earlier statement.  

4.       Communicate your action plan!  “I am sorry for being late, I’ll call next time.”

5.       Kiss and make up. 

6.       Quickly change the subject.

7.       Do make sure to “call next time”

 
Next time we will work on gratitude statements.  As in, all you new girlfriends of my old boyfriends can learn how to give me a sincere thank-you for teaching that guy such a valuable skill.  If they come with any other valuable skills, you can thank me for that too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment