Friday, October 12, 2012

First Date Story


My first first date. 

So.  I had my first first date since hitting the swinging singles scene this week.  I told you about him.  I had low expectations.  Mainly they stemmed from his poor typing skills, his lack of face in the photos he put up online, the fact that he listed his income,  and his side occupation as a fitness model.  This guy was also heavily featured in the What not to do post.  His last message to me was this: 
I dont think it will b tok crowded on a Tuesday. We should b fine.. just make sure not to dress up too hot.. i will b in my suit but not bcos we r meeting but just bcos of my boring corporate work
 
I read it in the voice of the boss from the movie OfficeSpace.  
 
We met at a bar downtown.  I was ten minutes late (a definite don’t) but I did text ahead a warning.  I spotted him right away; it helped that it was a Tuesday night at 6:30.  The conversation was pretty easy, due to the fact that he talked.  A lot.  I heard all about his job, the fancy companies he’s worked for (as part of that boring corporate job), the cool places he’s traveled for work (real work and work as a model), his friend Sarah, his friend Katie, his friend Melissa, how he feels about Apple products (does not like them), the bad experience he had with a married woman, and so on.
While he/we were talking I nursed my one drink.  He had five.  And those drinks were rum and cokes.  We were at a tequila bar with some amazing cocktails and ps he is 37.  I’m going to go ahead and judge that. 
I realize I’m painting this as a pretty bad first date, but in all honesty, it was not too bad.  Which was likely due to managing my own expectations by keeping them very very low.   In its favor the date had no awkward silences, tasty food, an interesting companion, and it was free.  Do I want those two hours of my life back?  No.  Will I give him another two hours of my life?  No.  
Final summary:
Fitness models have beautiful bodies.  Not beautiful faces.  If they had both they would just be called a model. 
Corporate IT consultants are not always geeky.   
Was he an asshole like I thought?  No.  He grew up in India, so English is his second language and once I had that piece of the puzzle, along  with the benefit of meeting him in person, the emails came across less asshole-y.    It was a good reminder that email does not contain a person’s tone. 
My tips for him: 
Be a more active listener.  Do not reference a plethora of women in casual conversation.  Order a grown up drink.  Do not order more than two drinks.  Even if you “can’t even feel them.”  Your date will feel them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment