Monday, November 19, 2012

First Date Story


I had a date last week.  Now that I think about it, I had two dates in one.  The date was set up by my best friend.  She sent me this email:

Coworker is 31. He is super smart and really funny. Very much into eating healthy and working out and semi obsessed with obtaining a 6 pack which we all talk about at work. He has a small sail boat that he docks in Lake Calhoun in the summers. He is somewhat of an uptown hipster but not in an overly weird annoying way. If anything, he would definitely be a fun date. 

Attached were some photos; he looked tall enough and cute enough to spend a few hours with.  After a few emails we made a plan.  He did not read my rules of planning a date, both options were close to his house.  However, since he lives in a trendy area and one of the places has been on my list of bars to check out, I was game for heading in his direction. 

I got there first and apparently there was another blind date taking place because a waitress came up to me and asked if my name was Diana.  Thankfully, Coworker arrived shortly thereafter and we started the date. 

My friend was right and I did have quite a bit in common with the coworker.  My resume came in handy and we had a lot to chat about.  The conversation flowed, appetizers were enjoyed, and for cocktail number three, we moved over  to the game area of the bar.  The main reason we went to this place was for the skee ball.  Coworker was prepared with a pocketful of quarters which earned him a bonus point as I was totally unprepared and only found pennies and dimes in the bottom of my purse.  I lost the first game by quite a few points so Coworker offered to give me some pointers on my form.  First I thought it was an excuse to check out my rearview.  It turns out that his sister is a competitive skee-baller (is that the right label?) and he actually knew what he was talking about.   The final tally of games left me the loser, but I handled that with uncharacteristic grace and feel good about my chances if there is a rematch. 

On my way home, I realized that after three hours, we had done dates one and two on the list.  Yikes.  This is moving fast.  The next date is actually date #4 from the formula, a longer dinner, but it will be taking place at a restaurant.  It should be near impossible to combine dinner with brunch, unless of course, we watch a movie after dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment